What Makes You, You?

Sunday, March 8, 2015

The debate goes on...


After looking at many different articles, websites and blogs I have noticed that there is still a lot of debate going on whether human behavior stems from our genes or from the environment. This inquiry, kind of has me going in circles, which I guess makes it a research topic.  Because I am constantly going back and forth and finding more sub-questions. 

I found one article that has really stood out for me on The Atlantic website by Alice G. Walton.  Watson explains that the different lifestyle choices, such as food and exercise could have an effect on the molecules surrounding a persons' genes.  In turn, this makes certain genes more active and bring out certain personality traits.  The article also gives examples how food, exercise and even bad habits could "sway" certain genes.  It also brings up the point that certain "bad" genes; such as a gene that may carry a disease may have the ability to not be passed down, to the next generation. This brings me to wonder, does our environment have a slightly larger control over our personality and behavior?

Most of my searching on the web, has led me to articles that wouldn't give their direct opinions on which is the more dominant factor; genes vs. environment.  Then I found another article by Etan Smallman, on Metro News that has a very similar opinion to my previous source on The Atlantic.  Smallman is more persuasive in his article and shows some credibility by interviewing a Child Clinical Psychologist and Neuroscientist about the subject.  Both seemed to agree that the environment has a bigger impact on an individual.  Smallman stated both professionals agreed that the main focus of our future should be on the environmental factor. 

I am really intrigued to see if this is a newer theory and to see if it is becoming more of the consensus.  I am personally still a little torn between the two.  In order to make a more solid case on my research, I plan to go the library again and look for some published books.  I also would like to see if I can find some publications that will lean more toward the gene factor. I think it would be great to find a lot of information for both sides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment