What Makes You, You?

Thursday, March 12, 2015

research...research...research!


On the wsj website there is an article called Nature vs.Nurture: New Science Stirs Debate” wrote by Jonathan Rockoff.   Rockoff explalins that there is a newer theory proving how the environment has a great affect a persons’ genetic make-up.  The theory, has proved that depending on a person’s genes, the DRD4 gene, to be specific, it can cause certain people to have more of sensitivity, towards their surroundings, and can affect their individual personality.  The theory goes on to categorizes people as being “Orchids”- which are the people that able to either exceed beyond exception with a positive environment or they can be the person who will have devastating tendencies and actions if they were surrounded by negative environments.  On other end of the spectrum there are people that are considered to be “Dandelions” these are the people that are not as affected by their surrounds and are able to have a more consistent personality, no matter what influences are around them.  This is very interesting to me because it really ties the environment factor in with the gene factor.  So does this mean that our environment has more of an effect on our future generations than it does to our own personal behavior?   If, so how much of an effect?  Does it carry on to our children or even into their future generations? 

The research also gave specific examples of the type of traits that were found to be more affected by ones’ genes such as; sense of purpose, social interactions and the ability to continue to learn and develop new skills.   This was a great point because I have wondered about this, are there certain traits that are more influenced by our genes and other genes more influenced by the environment?

 

The second source I found this week was an article that stated that a persons’ genetics has the bigger influence on behavior.   The article titled “Study Finds Nature Beats Nurture in Character Traits” can be found on the Pysch Central website.  The article is based on a study, from the University of Edinburgh.  They conducted a study of DNA and personality traits of more than 800 sets of twins.  According to their research it was twice as common for the identical twins to show similar personality traits vs. non-identical twins. I found this to be very interesting because one could say that according to the results of this study ‘Yes, this does prove genetics is the reason we are, who we are’.  
I want know, what about all the set of twins, even identical twins, that seem to be completely opposite of each other?  I personally have seen many twins at our elementary school and they are very different.  They are different when it comes to their interests, social interactions, learning ability, and for some it seems like opposites at everything!  So, if traits and personality are caused by genetics, why are there so many twins that are on the opposite side of the spectrum?   I find all of this information very interesting.  I am looking forward to researching the different thoughts and theories.

3 comments:

  1. Hi April, I love what you are doing with your blog. This is a really hard topic to pin down. It was interesting to read about the twins having the same tendencies. The only problem I had with using twins was that more then likely they didn't grow up in different environments. They grew up in the same household and were probably taught the same structure in life. They had the same nurture. I like what you said about learning more about twins not having the same tendencies, and I feel that would be more on the side of nature, but then again if one twin was a run away or on drugs, it would be a factor. As I was reading your blog, I was reminded about the story of the two brothers. (I was trying to look for it on the net) Both came from a severely broken home, one grew up to become successful and the other was on drugs and in jail all the time. When the latter brother asked his successful brother how did he do it, how was he able to get over all the stuff that happened to them as kids and grow up to be good and be successful. The successful brother looked at his brother and simply said, "I don't see how you couldn't, after all that happened, why wouldn't you want a better life." Sometimes I think it is the choices we make in life that truly determine how we grow. Its what we want out of life. I don't know where that falls in nature vs. nurture, but I believe behavior can be learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, like a lot a scientist, think that twins are a good study for this question. I do not know if your research has led you to studies done on separated twins. I heard that separated twins tend to be very alike, whereas twins that grow up together tend to do things that separate them from the person who is so much like them.Also, children who are adopted are a good study for this because it is easier to tell which aspects of their personality they share with their birth parents and which they share with their care-givers or adopted family.
    I like the thing on flowers. I can somewhat understand why they chose dandelions, but I am afraid I would not have gone for orchids for the other flower. What do you think? I also like that you wrote one entry about "Nature wins" and one that says the opposite. That comes out very balanced and is interesting to read. Also, it makes you wonder if the scientists really talk to each other or read papers on the opposing view of their own research. I suppose no one wants to find out they are wrong, but one would think scientists would be more analytical about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The different information you are discovering is very interesting. it is like there are many different things that effect our gentic coding. I never would of thought that the enviroment could effect our gentics. But your research about twins genteics making them have similar traits makes me wonder what traits siblings share? And how does gentics effect sibling differently if siblings have the same parents? I know that my sister are constantly talking about the traits we share with each other and the traits that we don't. It would interesting to know what causes siblings to be so different?

    ReplyDelete